Emergency Plan

It is my policy to keep children safe when they are in my care. As well as being recorded in the children’s files, contact numbers, GP numbers and an outline of a child's needs and medical issues are kept in two emergency books which are stored safely and securely but are easily accessible to myself in an emergency so I can quickly collect one if we need to leave the premises. Contact numbers are also stored in my phone. I have escape plans and practice and record fire drills for my work premises.


I risk assess my work premises to ensure it meets the safeguarding and welfare requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage. As a registered childminder, I am legally required to have a valid paediatric first-aid certificate before registration and to ensure that my first aid training is renewed every 3 years.  

I can administer basic first-aid treatment, and my first-aid box is clearly labelled and easily accessible. It is stored safely.

I hold written permission from parents in my records to seek emergency treatment for their child if it is needed.

I also have an arrangement with another registered childminder/responsible adult to provide emergency back-up cover.

If there is an accident to a child in my care, I will reassure the injured child while making sure that the other children in my care are safe. If the accident is a minor one and requires only basic first aid, I will deal with it myself. If not, I will ring 999 (or 112 from a mobile) for help. If I have to accompany or take a child to hospital, I will either take the other children with me, or call my emergency back-up cover. This will be another registered childminder or known responsible adult. These people will be made known to parents at the settling-in visit. If there is an accident, my emergency back-up cover may contact you and you will be expected to collect your child as s. If I manage to deal with the accident myself, then I will tell the affected child’s parents immediately and advise of any first aid treatment given. If I accompany or take a child to hospital, I will contact the child’s parent and ask them to meet me at the hospital. If I or any of my own children have an accident, I will get the nearest responsible adult to help, while my emergency back-up people are being contacted.

When away from my work premises, I carry parents’ contact details and a first aid kit with me.


An incident is a non-medical emergency which causes the need for an immediate response/change of routine in the setting. In this instance I will follow my appropriate policy or procedure and if necessary, contact parents. If we need to evacuate the premises, children will be kept safe and I will take my emergency record books which are stored safely and securely by my exit doors, with me. I also keep contact numbers in my phone and that is also always kept with me. The emergency services will be contacted if necessary and parents will be informed where to collect their children.

If parents have an emergency, I expect them to keep me informed.