Parental Responsibillity

Parental Responsibility (PR) is having the right and responsibility to make important decisions in the life of a child.

A mother always has it (unless the child is adopted by someone else). A child’s father can share PR if he was married to the mother at the time of the child’s birth. A step parent can adopt the child to get PR and a court order can also grant PR.

Unmarried parents of a child born before December 2003 : Unmarried fathers can gain PR by marrying the mother or by registering a Parental Responsibility Agreement with the court or by getting a court order.

Unmarried parents of a child born after December 2003 : An unmarried father can get PR by registering the birth together with the mother, marrying the mother, or by registering with the court for PR.

As a childminder, I am required to know who has Parental Responsibility for the children in my care and so this information is required on my registration forms.